This is the one meal I make that absolutely everyone in my family loves! That means from my granddaughter to my mother, and even the in-laws ~ everyone agrees I make a mean Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup! In today’s recipe I cranked up the flavor by making my own herbed noodles. Seriously – this was a game changer! I have always used frozen noodles in the past, but by making my own I was able to add even more flavor and texture to our all-time favorite soup!
These noodles were super simple to make, and I’m including a link here. But if you’re pressed for time, or prefer to use store bought – by all means – do what you need to do in order to make this belly pleasing, soul warming, cold virus fighting, nutrient packed, incredibly delicious soup! I actually made this in my Ninja Cooking System – which I love and never ever want to be without….EVER! However, any crockpot will work. The advantage of the Ninja is that I can switch from slow cooker to the stovetop setting with a simple turn of the dial. This helps cook the noodles faster, but it’s not necessary, as they will cook just fine in a regular crockpot – it’ll just take a little longer!
The basic recipe is dump everything except the noodles in the pot, cook it all day, shred the chicken, add the noodles, cook a little longer, serve and enjoy! Anybody can make this! It’s a perfect recipe for the timid beginner cook, or for the experienced cook who loves a healing bowl of homemade soup! I pack the broth with all the flavors of the vegetables, along with rosemary, thyme, and sage to give it a richer and more interesting flavor profile. The heavy dose of garlic not only deepens the flavor of the homemade soup, but also helps ramp up the medicinal value of the broth! Garlic has been proven to shorten the duration and lessen the severity of cold symptoms. It’s also helpful in reducing high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Garlic also contains antioxidants that have been shown to help prevent Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
Tip: Serve this hearty and healing soup with a piece of Rustic Overnight Roasted Garlic Rosemary Bread for a complete meal guaranteed to keep you warm on even the coldest days!
We love this Homemade Chicken & Herbed Noodle Soup so much that I always try to keep at least a couple bowls in the freezer for those inevitable sick days we all experience every winter. Instead of “Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning”, I say eat a bowl of Homemade Chicken & Herbed Noodle Soup and maybe you won’t need to call the doctor at all!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken stock - I prefer Kitchen Basics brand
- 1 recipe Herbed Noodles ~ link in blog ~ or 12 ozs. frozen noodles
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, sliced
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt - more or less to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Place all ingredients (frozen chicken breasts need not be thawed) except noodles in crockpot, and cook on low, approximately 6-7 hours.
- 90 minutes before serving, turn temperature to high.
- Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Return to crockpot.
- 30-40 minutes before serving add noodles to bubbling hot soup, stirring occasionally, and cooking until noodles are al dente.
- Serve piping hot with a side of crusty bread for a perfect fall or winter evening meal!
- I highly recommend keeping a few bowls in the freezer for those days when you need a little "medicine" in a bowl to make you feel better!
- I also suggest next time you buy a crockpot to invest in a Ninja Cooking System. It's the most versatile appliance in my kitchen - and also one of the most frequently used! No affiliation - just a super happy owner!