Sometimes simple is best. And this recipe for Sweet Potato Hash is incredibly simple. It just so happens to be incredibly delicious and nutritious as well! Plus, I love coming up with recipes that are easily made from ingredients I usually always have stocked in my fridge, freezer, and pantry!
Today’s recipe is a favorite of mine because sweet potatoes….enough said! These babies pack a powerhouse of nutritional goodness and flavor, making them one of my favorite foods! They are low in calories – 115 per one cup of cubed sweet potatoes, and they are LOADED with vitamin A which plays a critical role in maintaining our vision, immune systems, and neurological functions. Even if they didn’t taste fantabulous, I’d still want to eat them just for their nutrients.
Today’s hash recipe is perfect for weekend brunch, or as a simple weeknight dinner. In fact, it’d be perfect to serve for a Meatless Monday dinner! Add a little chopped avocado for some healthy fats and fiber, top it all with a soft poached egg for some protein, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a zippy bit of spice, and you’ll have what I consider to be a perfect simple meal! Flavor, nutrition, spice, and gorgeous color all in one dish…see…it is the perfect meal!
For those of you who prefer meat with their meals (like Mr. CEBH), feel free to add some chopped ham or bacon! I made it with ham for my husband and even though he’s not a huge sweet potato fan (how is that even possible?!?), he thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the ham helped disguise the sweet potato flavor for him…husbands and kids…the lengths we go to in order to get them to eat healthy! 😉
Just look at that yolk…it makes the perfect sauce for this bowl of hash goodness!
To compliment the sweet potatoes in this dish I also added Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions. Feel free to follow the recipe exactly, or sub in your family’s favorite vegetables. Either way, you’ll have a dinner on the table in practically no time with this Sweet Potato Hash recipe!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, cubed
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, cubes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 large baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 eggs, poached ~ optional
- 1 large avocado, diced ~ optional
- Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, pepper, and mushrooms. Toss to coat in oil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally over medium to high heat 10-15 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until vegetables are fork tender ~ about 10 more minutes.
- Divide evenly into 6 portions.
- Top each portion with diced avocado and a soft poached egg, if desired.
- Season with an additional sprinkle of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if desired.